Is the honing oil food safe?
I asked Lansky about this and they sent me a safety data sheet. Click here to download a PDF version of it.
According to the safety data sheet, the honing oil is a “Highly Refined Petroleum Base Oil”.
The SDS contains the following general precautionary statements:
- Keep out of reach of children.
- Read label before use.
- Wash skin thoroughly after handling.
- IF SWALLOWED: Rinse mouth. Do NOT induce vomiting.
- IF IN EYES: Rinse cautiously with water for several minutes. Remove contact lenses, if present and easy to do. Continue rinsing.
- Get medical advice/attention if you feel unwell.
Come to think of it, I once swallowed a mouthful of hydraulic oil. Aside from the disgusting taste, it caused me no harm. But I’m not condoning your drinking of oil. Don’t do it.
The best type of oil
If you want an oil that’s food safe, get mineral oil. Here are two options on Amazon…